Sunday, January 27, 2008

Politics

Since this is my personal blog, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the upcoming presidential election.

I am a democrat, although I have to admit that I voted for George Bush the first time he ran. At the time I thought it was the best choice when faced with the decision between Bush and Gore. We all know how that turned out—Bush ruined the country and Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize.

I will most likely vote for either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama, but haven't decided on which one yet. I have some misgivings about both right now.

Hillary concerns me because she seems to be running on the "my husband was president which gave me experience in the White House" line, while I'm not sure Barack is really ready to take on the presidency given his lack of experience.

I guess the best of both worlds would be a combo Clinton-Obama ticket.

Obama is supposedly coming to El Dorado for a rally on Tuesday. I would love to go, but I have something going on at work that I can't get out of. Sometimes I wish we lived in a democratic state where the candidates campaigned more vigorously.

I've seen stories about people from smaller states taking their vacation in New Hampshire during the primaries to be able to get access to the candidates before casting their votes. I think it would be great to see either Obama or Clinton give a speech, but I do have a job and family and can't quite pick up that easily to chase the candidates.

7 comments:

Lori said...

i'm with you , maria. i'm torn between hillary and obama, for almost exactly the same reasons you stated. i resent the whole "clinton dynasty" thing, but at the same time, i'm sort of intrigued by the idea of bill and hill in the white house. and although i think obama has tons of charisma and smarts, the lack of experience is a big concern. and then you have to ask yourself, will any of them really make a difference? ugh. this will be along 10 months....

Travis said...

You voted for George Bush. And are willing to admit it?

Maria... how can we still be friends?

Maria said...

This from the man whose wife wanted to be the first in line at Pei Wei? :)

Travis said...

at least she didn't vote for Bush.

Linda said...

Maria, I think it's admirable that you posted your political views. And I must admit, I totally agree with you. I can say I did NOT vote for Bush, but I'm struggling with the Hillary/Obama decision as well. One thing is for sure, either one would be a HUGE improvement over the last 8 years!

jenny said...

Maria I am so honored to work with the only other democrat in Kansas! It is going to be a tough decision, but I am leaning towards Hillary myself. A Hillary/Obama ticket would be very interesting!

Chris said...

Hey, I'm a Democrat, too! I am also struggling with who to vote for in the primary. I always feel like my vote is cancelled out immediately because we live in a red state. I am proud to say that I have NEVER cast a vote for anyone named George Bush.